DATE: Friday 4 May OR Friday 1 June
TIME: 9.00am to 3.15pm
COST: $220 including morning tea and light lunch
VENUE: Canberra Technology Park, Block D, 49 Phillip Ave, Watson ACT 2602
The Australian Curriculum has put the focus back on the teaching of grammar. This 5 hour workshop aims to increase teachers’ knowledge of the basics of traditional English grammar.
Grammar Basics Workshop
The workshop is conducted in a relaxed and supportive environment. The facilitator, Margaret McBride, has over 30 years English language teaching experience and has worked as a sessional University lecturer/tutor in teacher education for post-graduate and master’s degree students. The program is especially suitable for teachers who have limited grammatical knowledge, although teachers wanting to revise grammar fundamentals will also benefit. The workshop is presented in a simple and easy to follow format and teachers will work collaboratively to develop their skills. A workbook with glossary will be provided as well as recommendations for classroom resources. It is our firm commitment to develop teachers’ confidence in using and describing English grammar. Post workshop, teachers are welcome to email or meet with the course facilitator if they need further assistance.
Learning outcomes of Grammar Basics Workshop: 5 hours
- Teachers will be introduced to the metalanguage (terminology) of traditional grammar.
- Teachers will be able identify the different parts of speech or word classes.
- Teachers will be able to distinguish phrases, clauses, and sentences (simple, compound and complex).
- Teachers will learn about grammatical function – subject, object, adverbial etc.
- Teachers will apply this knowledge to different texts, and will not only recognize errors, but develop understanding of the reasons for errors.